To thicken the thinning lawn it is possible to intervene by doing regeneration or a seeding. These are two distinct operations, both of which lead to a renewal of the lawn. In this article we explain the difference between the two and how to do them. Here’s how to do it. Make use of the top soil spreader there.
Evaluate the state of the lawn and then intervene
The ideal time to do the sowing is autumn. This for the competition in the spring with weeds and for summer stress, it may be that at the spring pick up the lawn is particularly thinned due to winter diseases or because heir, untreated, of the damage of the previous season. In this case, depending on the severity of the damage, the regeneration or the simplest re-seeding of the lawn can be carried out. Let’s see them together:
The regeneration is an operation of partial renewal of the lawn, which is generally practical when the lawn has some thinned out and compromised areas. It is generally made up of a set of mechanical and non-mechanical operations, usually carried out by professional gardeners.
The lawn regeneration process involves:
- Mechanical intervention on the ground surface aeration also called Verticut and puncturing
- Chemical interventions weeding
- Integration with fertilizers after laboratory analysis
The reseeding also called seeding is the final stage of the lawn regeneration process. It is a matter of integrating the lawn with new seeds, in order to strengthen it. In poorly compromised meadows it can be done without the intervention of a professional.
When and how is the seeding done?
The ideal period for re-seeding is between late March and early April, with soil temperatures above 10 -15 degrees proceed as follows:
- Start by lowering the cut to 2.5 cm and removing the clippings.
- Intervene with a surface scarifier, the machinery can be purchased and sometimes rented at agricultural retailers.
- After aerating, carefully collect the waste material it generates. The aim is to thin out any weeds, remove the felt and ultimately create enough spaces to receive the new seed that you are going to spread.
- If at your analysis the soil is very compact, it is advisable to carry out a coring and punching to be entrusted to a specialized maintenance technician. This operation also has the purpose of promoting the successful outcome of the seeding improves the installation of the newborn seedlings.
Immediately after whether you have carried out the step in point 4 or not proceed with a top dressing of specific sandy loam for typical lawns for 3 mm thickness.
Is manual or machine re-seeding better?
For sowing, a sowing-sowing machine, disc or blade machine, capable of introducing the seed along the rows, should be used. In this way, a better contact between seed and soil is obtained and the right level of humidity is necessary for germination. In this case it is advisable to carry out 2 crossed passages preferably diagonally. The subsequent distribution of a light layer of sandy loam-type mixture will ensures coverage of any seeds left outside the furrows. The seeding machines can be hired from agricultural retailers or specialized maintenance workers.
Localized re-seeding can also be done manually. In this case, great attention must be paid to the uniformity of distribution, influenced precisely by the manual nature of the operation. Better to sow broadcasts made with a professional adjustable fertilizer spreader trolley, followed by a superficial raking.